Like Barry Bonds, Baseball Widow hasn't retired; she's just not playing.
Enjoy the archives. . .



Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Baseball Widow doesn't hate the Yankees

Steve from The Midnight Hour wrote with the following in response to my post on PEDs:

the Yankees financial resources are born of their location, business
acumen, and willingness to spend resources. I can't stress this enough,
the Yankees don't have more money than everyone else they just are
willing to SPEND more money than everyone else. As such this is not an
artificial advantage, it's an organic advantage.


First of all, I want to apologize if I appeared to be bashing the Yankees. I simply meant to place the debate on PEDs in the same category of conversation as other issues affecting competitive balance in baseball.

Second, I do agree that I could have used a better choice of words. Perhaps "organic" (or innate) advantage is the best way to phrase my meaning. While there might be something to the "ya gotta spend money to make money" argument, a team that isn't located in New York (e.g., the Twins) can never be on the same situational/economic footing as a team that is in New York. So, maybe the Mets could spend more money, be more aggressive, and become a club as powerful as the Yankees. But, as long as the Twins never can, there is still an imbalance.

I want to emphasize that I am a strong supporter of individual business and the sacred nature of its decisions. I just think that the sport as a whole--the business organization that is Major League Baseball--needs to protect its viability by instituting some sort of mechanism to ensure competitive balance. Fully fleshing out the ramifications of that idea requires a long hard look at the way the game is played today.

No comments: